Saturday 26 September 2015

Caffi Cookes, Penrhyndeudraeth, Cultural Detour Part 4




Penrhyndeudraeth, turn down towards Pont Briwet, Caffi Cookes is down there on the left hand side just before the new bridge. In the old days we may have called this kind of cafe a 'greasy-spoon' but that is possibly an unfair description. I always liked the traditional truckers cafes but this is clean and friendly and definitely NOT greasy.
I guess what I mean is, you can have all day breakfasts at a sensible price. I order the 'veggie breakfast' and decline the bread (on my gluten free diet). The cafe owner made the effort to come out to let me know that the veggie sausages contained gluten. I go with the veggie sausages anyway as a bit of a treat.
The breakfast was well presented, well cooked and the plum tomatoes piping hot .... faultless and lovely. Forgetting the 'greasy spoon' debate - this is a cafe for 'workers', 'truckers' and 'visitors' alike - a good little detour if heading past Penrhyndeudraeth or on the Harlech route.



I hadn't crossed the new Pont Briwet, and decided to do a quick once over / drive thru' after lunch. I loved the old Grade II Listed bridge, not that the Grade II Listing had any effect whatsoever - it was still destroyed. The old toll booth has gone also. In it's place a new bridge, quick, efficient, straight, convenient, wide, - all of those things and more I'm sure but completely devoid of any character at all.  I love old buildings and those things that give a place character. This is a convenience bridge now - with great views as before - but now you hurry across without the in-convenience of paying the toll. Gwynedd Museum have asked me for my tickets which I had kept in the car ...... 






https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_Briwet

No comments:

Post a Comment